HOW TO VOTE BY MAIL
WHO MAY APPLY FOR A VOTE BY MAIL BALLOT?
- Any qualified elector of the state of Illinois who is properly registered to vote.
- Registered or non-registered members of the U.S. Armed Forces while on active duty, members of the Merchant Marines, and/or U.S. government employees serving outside the U.S., as well as their spouse and dependent(s) who expect to be absent from their county of residence on Election Day.
- Registered and non-registered citizens of the U.S. temporarily out of the country, and their spouse and dependent(s) of voting age when residing with or accompanying them who maintain a precinct residence in Illinois.
- Any State or federal employee (and their spouse) who had a voting residence in the precinct at the time they entered employment, but who now reside elsewhere due to State or federal employment, may retain their voting rights in that precinct.
* Dependent children or military members who have never resided in Illinois are eligible to vote, and may also vote by mail.
FOR A VOTE BY MAIL BALLOT:
Voter must obtain a vote by mail application from their election authority, in-person or online, to request a vote by mail ballot. Upon receiving the application, the voter completes, signs, and then returns it to the election authority.
VOTING BY MAIL BEGINS:
Military and overseas: 45 days prior to the election
Everyone else: 40 days prior to each election
Source: Illinois State Board of Elections
VOTE BY MAIL APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE:
- Home Address
- Address where the voter would
- like application to be mailed
- Party Affiliation for Primary
- Any vote by mail ballot must be placed into the certification envelope provided. The certification on the envelope must be completed, signed, and the envelope sealed. Mailed ballots must be postmarked no later than Election Day, and must be received within 14 days of the election. All vote by mail ballots are processed centrally.
WHEN TO APPLY?
Vote by mail applications can be submitted 90 days through 5 days prior to the election.
If submitted by mail outside the U.S. an application must be made:
- Not less than 30 days prior to the election to receive full ballot or;
- Less than 30 days prior to the election to receive a federal ballot only